If you have a boat for fishing or water adventures, you need to pay attention to its motor battery so that you can get the best performance from your boat. When it comes to choosing a trolling motor battery, people have a casual approach and they end up buying a sub-standard battery. There are so many options and configurations available in the market that you can easily get confused. There are dual-purpose cells, wet and gel batteries, deep cycle batteries and whatnot. The following is the list of the top 10 best 12 volt trolling motor batteries in2018 that will provide the best all-around performance.
- 1. VMAXTANKS Boat Battery Kit
- 2. PowerStar Electric Trolling Motor Battery
- 3. UpStart Battery Electric Trolling Motor Battery
- 4. Interstate Batteries Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- 5. Universal Power Group Battery for Trolling Motor
- 6. UPG Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- 7. Mighty Max Battery SLA Battery
- 8. ExpertPower Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
- 9. VMAX857 AGM Battery
- 10. Mighty Max Electric Trolling Motor Battery
1. VMAXTANKS Boat Battery Kit
This is a heavy duty 12 volt trolling motor battery which comes with a circuit breaker. It can be used for many 12V applications and comes in a battery box for your better protection. It also covers your trolling motor with its rubber terminal covers and has got gold plated terminals. This is ideal for various purposes like Cobra, thrust motors, and Minnkota. The tough tank seal also ensures that your product lasts for a long time. The wiring instructions are available on the tube.
2. PowerStar Electric Trolling Motor Battery
This comes from the reputable brand of PowerStar. When you buy this 12-volt trolling motor battery, then it comes with sealed construction. The battery provides fine mat separators and gets absorbed for a long life. It controls gas generation allowing you to perform better. It is also classified as non-spillable which meets the International Air Transport Association requirements. The battery is leakage-free and position-free and does not require any maintenance. It will give steady service and will ensure that there is no electrolyte leakage.
3. UpStart Battery Electric Trolling Motor Battery
Buy now from Amazon
When you buy this product then you are ready to go with any trolling motor. This is very compact and is also very lightweight, weighing less than 30 pounds. It holds and provides the power stably. It also comes with the warranty of one year and the capacity of the battery is 35000mAh. It is an Upstart battery brand which will be the best replacement for any lead acid batteries. This is a very long lasting product and there are many positive reviews about it.
4. Interstate Batteries Sealed Lead Acid Battery
This is a very lightweight 12 volt trolling motor battery which weighs just 23.8 pounds. This is a small and a self-contained battery. When fully charged, then they will perform without any problem on your trolling motor. This can also perfectly suit in your trailer but ensure that it is not for a golf cart. It can be mounted to any angle and is a non-starting battery. The product dimensions are 7.7 x 5.2 x 6.3 inches and it is not recommended for automobiles.
5. Universal Power Group Battery for Trolling Motor
This is a rechargeable 12 volt trolling motor battery which is spill proof. You can mount it in any position and is shock resistant. This also does not have any vibration when in operation. The product comes with a warranty of one year and it weighs 63.93 Lbs. Its dimensions include 2.17 x 6.61 x 9.16 inches. The battery falls in the group size of 27 and it fits perfectly to any power outlet. You can use it with Minnkota, Sevylor or Cobra.
6. UPG Sealed Lead Acid Battery
This is perfect for use in systems with UPS backup. The 12 volt trolling motor battery can also be sued on several other gears like spotlights, exit lighting, and flashlights. It provides 35 Amp hours and weighs 24 pounds. Once fully charged, it will perform smoothly without any problems. This is also very compact and has got strong charging capacity. This is best for your trolling motor and is a recommended product. It is a small, handy, and a powerful battery.
7. Mighty Max Battery SLA Battery
This is a spill-proof battery which can operate at different temperatures. In this 12 volt trolling motor battery, you will get a warranty of one year. It does not have any vibration and is shock resistant. It discharges at a high rate and has got a long service life with deep discharge recover. You can mount it in any position and it weighs 23.15 Lbs. Its dimensions are 7.68 x 5.16 x 7.13 inches and can be utilized in many applications.
8. ExpertPower Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
This is a 12 Volt 33 Amp trolling motor battery which can perform in the wide temperature range. It can utilize Absorbed Glass Mat and is very easy to use. You can use it by installing it just once. It is also lightweight which has a weight of 23.9 pounds with dimensions of 7.7 x 5.2 x 6.3 inches. It has a durable exterior which is constructed in a rugged way and is very efficient when compared to other batteries. Once charged, you can use it with ease.
9. VMAX857 AGM Battery
This product has got heavy duty grids and provides better performance even when discharged repeatedly. In this 12 volt trolling motor battery, you will not have to perform any maintenance and you not need to add water or check the gravity. This is also lightweight and is designed to perform better. With its tough tank seals, it protects the plates and is resistant to any kind of shocks or vibrations. Its dimensions are 7.7 x 5 x 6.1 inches and is recommended to use with a charger of VMAX BC1204.
10. Mighty Max Electric Trolling Motor Battery
This product is highly shock and vibration resistant and you can mount it in any position. The 12 volt trolling motor battery performs better in any temperature. It comes with a warranty of one year and includes a dimension of 9.02 x 5.43 x 9.13 inches. This is a maintenance free battery which has to be recharged. It has got a long lasting life and comes with a valve regulated design. This is also not that heavy with a weight of 35.58 Lbs.
Buyer’s Guide – Things To Keep In Mind
In order to buy the best 12 volt trolling motor battery, there are a few parameters you have to keep in mind while selecting the batteries from the above-mentioned list. Some of those parameters are the battery types, amperage hour ratings, cycle life and likewise as listed below.
- Battery Type – There are basically two types of 12-volt batteries available in the market. The first one is the wet cell batteries(Lead-Acid) which are cheaper than the other type. The reason many people ditch wet cell batteries is that it requires regular maintenance such as topping up distilled water every now and then depending on the usage. These batteries are very prone to vibration as they can spill and cause unforeseen troubles. They are not as safe as the other type but they are sustainable for a couple of decades. The second type is absorbed glass mats or AGM batteries. These are modern day batteries that are replacing wet cell batteries completely. These are sealed for safety and hence, you can place them in any position without any trouble of spilling. The lifetime of these batteries are twice as much as wet cell batteries but they are expensive. Apart from these, gel batteries and lithium ion batteries are also there but they are least used.
- Amperage – It is important to know the amperage of the battery because it determines how long your battery will last on the trolling motor. You will find that every battery has amperage hour rating and you have to divide that with the amps your motor is drawing so that you get the result which represents the hours your battery will last. The lasting of the batteries is also dependent on the speed of the boat. At a low speed, the battery will sustain for many hours while it drains faster in higher speed.
- Cranking Amps – There is a term used in the battery industry and it is called cold cranking amps. What it essentially means is how much amps a battery will discharge for the initial half an hour of electricity in zero Fahrenheit. Another term used is reserve power which is how long a battery will discharge power before needing a recharge. Apart from these, you should also have an eye of the weight of the battery as a heavy battery can slow you down drastically. A battery with less than 30 pounds of weight is the best.
If you are looking for brand value while buying a trolling motor battery, the top 10 best 12 volt trolling motor batteries in 2018 as listed above are from the best brands. Buy brand value does not ensure that you are buying the best battery for your boat. You have to keep the above-mentioned factors in mind while choosing one to get the best value for your money.